Needling Technique

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 18:41:21 -0500

Hi Bill,
          Use a single needle about 1/2" long targeting the tip of the
molding.
6 insertions per shoulder ( between 10-11 o'clock) on each hammer will open
the
tone up considerably and help with sustain and projection.  The sound will
become fatter and more dynamic through the ranges.  I cut back to about 3
inserting in Octave 6 and above tapering a little shallower.
After hanging just some evening and crown needling is needed.  The tone on
these hammers is very responsive.
With the hammers clamped on the bench, gang filing is a breeze, all dead even.
I have found I can get a nice singing wet sound at ppp.  Such a subjective
subject.
Regards Roger