bridle strap - was Re: 1902 Conover upright jack lever

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 10:35:59 +0930

Kevin,

In regulating an upright piano I have always adjusted the strap wires to be
firm when the 'soft' pedal is depressed and the key / wippen does not move.
This point will vary from one piano to another but I will suggest that it be
1/3 of the hammers travel to the string.

At this point the hammer will still blubber if the butt return spring is
broken and if you tighten the strap further it will effect the key touch
weight greatly when played with the 'soft' pedal depressed.

I have found that by adjusting the check into a better (and sometimes lower)
position it will stop the blubbering better. The blubbering is of course
caused by a multiple of faults being a combination of one or all of the
following.

Broken return spring or cord, jack not clearing the butt, check not catching
the butt correctly.

Regards

Tony