Early Asian pianos

ANRPiano@AOL.COM ANRPiano@AOL.COM
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 07:42:07 EDT

In a message dated 6/21/2001 9:32:02 AM Central Daylight Time,
glenn@graftonpiano.com writes:

> BTW, I want to point out that referring to this as an "Asian piano"
> lumps all pianos together that are made in Korea, Japan, China, etc.
> It would be better to refer to it as a Korean piano, which a
> Schaeffer Piano is. The underlying reason why the polyester cracked
> is because they did not use a resin surfacer sheet on top of the
> wood. Yamaha does and as a result this type of damage is almost
> unheard of on a Yamaha. We have seen it on other pianos, including
> Boston pianos which lack the resin surfacer sheet.

Thank-you for pointing this out.  I have seen this problem on a number of
Asian pianos and 1960s European pianos and never new the cause other than the
wood moving underneath the finish.  I have seen it on an early Kawai, but
your right, I cannot remember seeing it on a Yamaha.

Andrew Remillard