Early Asian pianos/more questions

ANRPiano@AOL.COM ANRPiano@AOL.COM
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 07:37:07 EDT

In a message dated 6/21/2001 8:19:06 AM Central Daylight Time,
grandrestorations@yahoo.com writes:

> If the case is black, it might not be all that
> difficult to make the repairs and coat the case in
> black lacquer.  Why strip off the poly if you don't
> have to.  I've seen it done and really looked good.

Brian,

It is good to see you on line again.

The piano is not originally black, but that may not be an issue for these
folks.  Do you have any problems with filling the voids created by broken
polyester with an epoxy and then spraying black?  What about roughing up the
surface say with 180 or 240 paper for mechanical adhesion?  What about the
stability of the remaining polyester, is the loss of adhesion a progressive
condition or does it stabilize?  Any recommended lacquer brands?  I usually
use a waterborne lacquer, any pros or cons?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Andrew Remillard