Early Asian pianos

Glenn Grafton glenn@graftonpiano.com
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:24:16 -0400

>I knew this day would eventually come.  I have already replaced a few pin
>blocks in 30 - 40 year old Asian wonders. Now I have a Grandma's early 70's
>Schaeffer 5 1/2' grand in need of the usual pinblock replacement, (each
>string tied off) and action reconditioning, (actually very little wear) but
>the finish is the problem.  There is considerable damage due to wood
>movement, including a crack in the veneer nearly all the way around the frame
>right about where the top of the inner rim.  I have dealt with this before on
>lesser name US pianos which had lacquer finishes and were easily repaired and
>hid.
>
>What do we do with these polyester finishes?  How easily do they strip?
>Anybody have experience with spraying polyester?  Would refinishing in
>lacquer be a better choice?  If poly strips off easily enough I am inclined
>to respray with my usual lacquer.

snip

What course of action you take will depend on the type of damage. Is
the crack just in the finish or is the underlying wood cracked as
well?

My guess is that the crack is probably due to movement of the
underlying wood. If the crack was small you could probably get by
with cleaning out the crack, getting the edges smoothed out and
roughed up with 320 grit and laying in some polyester from Allied
International or Konig and doing the graded steps of sanding and
buffing.

You still may want to take this approach, but a cheaper course may be
to repair the crack and respray the rim with lacquer, sand it out and
buff it. A laborious procedure but the resulting repair will be less
obvious. We did this on a polished Ivory piano (extremely hard to get
a perfect color match) recently with a major gouge in the side and
the repair was perfect. Of course realistically this should be done
outside of their home. If you've never done a major polyester repair
or refinished a piano in high gloss black, you may want to refer it
to someone else who has.

BTW, I want to point out that referring to this as an "Asian piano"
lumps all pianos together that are made in Korea, Japan, China, etc.
It would be better to refer to it as a Korean piano, which a
Schaeffer Piano is. The underlying reason why the polyester cracked
is because they did not use a resin surfacer sheet on top of the
wood. Yamaha does and as a result this type of damage is almost
unheard of on a Yamaha. We have seen it on other pianos, including
Boston pianos which lack the resin surfacer sheet.

--
Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.

The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So I bought a Macintosh.