Workin' for the Dealer

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 05:47:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Terry,

I can only think of one experience at the moment...

I was out doing a tuning for a store.  It was a fairly
new (under 10 years old) Baldwin studio in a church
sanctuary.  I did my normal tuning and had noticed
that when I played a bit that the pedals needed a bit
of adjusting.  When I opened up the bottom board, I
noticed that the bass bridge was having some major
splitting and cracking happening and it looked to be
starting to fail through the bridge body / cap glue
joint.

Having noticed that, I made note of it and went to the
dealer and reported what I had seen.  According to
what I had been told, it was still under warranty.

The dealer then contacted the customer and told them
that "while the technician was there tuning the piano,
he discovered some problems with the piano."  The
dealer then proceeded to make arrangements to make the
needed repairs.  As it so happened, it was only a
couple of weeks before a church 'camp meeting' when
most everyone would be away for a couple of weeks
anyway and it was a good time to pick up the piano and
bring into the shop for the repairs.

It was all handled very calmly and without much
emotion at all.  There was no need to get the customer
all worked up over a problem that they weren't yet
aware of.  The customer was told of the problem and
offered the solution all in the same phone call.

As far as I know, everyone was happy in the end.

Just one experience...

Brian

--- Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> What is the protocol for situations such as the
> following: I recommended to
> a woman who was looking for a new piano that she
> consider the Yamaha. She
> bought a new T121 from the local dealer. He called
> me and asked if I would
> like to do his warranty tuning (the free tuning she
> gets with the new
> piano). I said "sure". I tuned it the other day.
> This is the only work I
> have done for this dealer in more than a year. He's
> a pretty decent guy.
>
> Pretty nice piano except for a few loose bridge pins
> that are producing
> prominent false beats and a heavy key touchweight
> that ranges from 60 to 70
> grams downweight.
>
> I consider these characteristics in a new piano to
> be defects that need
> correction. If I bought this piano new, I would want
> to know of them. What
> information is commonly given to the piano owner
> and/or dealer in a
> situation such as this?
>
> Terry Farrell

=====