Early Asian pianos

philromano@attglobal.net philromano@attglobal.net
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 08:57:01 -0400

Hi Andrew,

I suggest you contact :

Allied International Inc.
P.O. Box 1549
High Point, NC  27261

(910) 454 2000

They are my polyester suppliers (great stuff available!) and have in the =
past expressed to me that stripping and refinishing poly can be done =
without too much trouble. I have not done it but they say it's possible! =
I would imagine quite an investment in equipment and supplies might be =
necessary.

Phil Romano
Myrtle Beach, SC
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: ANRPiano@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 7:55 AM
  Subject: Early Asian pianos

  List,=20

  I knew this day would eventually come.  I have already replaced a few =
pin=20
  blocks in 30 - 40 year old Asian wonders. Now I have a Grandma's early =
70's=20
  Schaeffer 5 1/2' grand in need of the usual pinblock replacement, =
(each=20
  string tied off) and action reconditioning, (actually very little =
wear) but=20
  the finish is the problem.  There is considerable damage due to wood=20
  movement, including a crack in the veneer nearly all the way around =
the frame=20
  right about where the top of the inner rim.  I have dealt with this =
before on=20
  lesser name US pianos which had lacquer finishes and were easily =
repaired and=20
  hid.=20

  What do we do with these polyester finishes?  How easily do they =
strip?  =20
  Anybody have experience with spraying polyester?  Would refinishing in =

  lacquer be a better choice?  If poly strips off easily enough I am =
inclined=20
  to respray with my usual lacquer.=20

  I know this is a job of questionable economic value, but we all know =
that=20
  "sentimental value" is expensive.  Under most circumstances I would =
probably=20
  consign this PSO to the local dump but the folks are rather adamant.=20

  Any help would be much appreciated, this is an issue I am sure will =
start=20
  coming up more and more frequently in the next few years.=20

  Andrew Remillard=20