Deceptive Advertising

Glenn Grafton glenn@graftonpiano.com
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 20:09:10 -0400

Lance Lafargue, RPT wrote:
>Kevin,
>I agree Kevin, I just noticed this post, sorry I'm late.  Can you
>tell me about this "Yamaha service bond"?  I read something about
>this from a ticket on a new piano once, and when I asked about it, I
>was told it didn't exist.  What is it exactly?  Thanks,
>lance
>
>P.S.  As for the Pramberger couple, you've made good
>friends/customers for life and you'll probably have a hard time
>getting them to disbelieve anything you do or say from now on.  That
>is the best kind of customer to build a customer base on and you'll
>get plenty of money, (and more) from that one situation.  Good for
>you.

The Yamaha service bond procedure was developed by LeRoy Edwards at
Yamaha, see:
http://www.giles.com/yamaha1/pressreleases/KEY/laroy.htm

Following is what it consists of:

Part 1: Pre Sale
Cabinet
Tuning
Touch

Part II: Post Sale
a) Initial home tuning.
b) 3 to 8 months after your Yamaha Piano is delivered, it will have
become accustomed to the environment in your home, A technician will
then visit your home and perfor the following...
Check/ adjust action screws.
Check/ adjust damper screws
Check/ adjust keyboard
Check/ adjust adjust pedals
Tune

Also listed on the part the technician completes are:
Tighten bench bolts, plate screws and general case and hardware.

This is from the Yamaha hang tag that comes on Yamaha pianos.
(Sometimes removed by the dealer if they don't want to follow through
on it). Ironically I can find nothing at all on Yamaha's web site
mentioning the Service Bond.

We follow this procedure to the "T", as well as do any voicing
preferred by the customer. Not all Yamaha dealers do. At least one
large Yamaha dealer I know of in PA does a free tuning in the home,
that's it. I asked a technician I interviewed who had worked at one
Yamaha dealer before if he was familiar with the Yamaha Service Bond
Procedure. He said he was very familiar with how to perform the
things called for with the Service Bond but he never had to do one
when working at the other dealer
--
Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.

The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So I bought a Macintosh.