polyester case parts

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:21:51 -0500

>The only other times I can recall running into "plastic" case parts were
>the sides of an 1973 Estey console and the inserts in the top front
>panel of a church-style studio.  Are there other piano manufacturers
>that put plastic (polyester, whatever) parts where we normally find wood
>or at least a wood composite?  Is this good, bad, or of no consequence
>either way?
>
>Regards, Clyde

I ran into this in a Kawai too (I think, but it might have been a Yamaha),
and have probably tuned dozens - if not hundreds more without noticing.
This one squeaked (squoke?) when "the pedal" was depressed, which is the
only reason I noticed at all. The box is just the furniture, and doesn't
have much of anything to do with the instrument. That is, if the instrument
is built well. If the box stays on the instrument under normal use and
doesn't impede instrument function, it's of little to no consequence
acoustically.

Ramp jumping them over thresholds and repeatedly smashing them into door
frames in institutions is another consideration altogether. Also,
lightweight plastic case parts are not good lift points for moving.

Ron N