polyester case parts

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:38:24 -0400

Friends,

Yesterday as I working on a high-gloss black Yamaha U1 vertical piano
which was made about two years ago, I discovered something that
surprised me.  The vertical case part between the kneeboard and the side
was formed out of a piece of polyester (I presume), probably about 1/8"
thick.  You reach around that part expecting to find a solid member, and
your fingers contact mostly air.

The only other times I can recall running into "plastic" case parts were
the sides of an 1973 Estey console and the inserts in the top front
panel of a church-style studio.  Are there other piano manufacturers
that put plastic (polyester, whatever) parts where we normally find wood
or at least a wood composite?  Is this good, bad, or of no consequence
either way?

Regards, Clyde