Holes in hammers

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 17:12:15 -0500

>Do you know why we pack the felt after needling ? it is because , if we
>don't do that, the sound escape by the holes !
>
>Isaac

And on really hard hammers, the holes will whistle with a hard blow! With
different sized holes, you can get them to whistle at a different pitches
to reinforce desirable partials. Tuned voicing, as it were, or a flute duplex.

Now the question no one has asked. I held back as long as I could.

How does one split nine holes symmetrically above and below the crown of
the hammer? Would that be 4.5 holes on either side?

Just trying to make sure I understand the concept.

Ron N