Steinway bridge replacement--should I?

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:49:48 EDT

John:
I just finished a full board and block replacement and bridge recap on an
1872 Steinway E1 scale. My opinion is that doing any significant bridge work
on these pianos requires removing the plate and resetting the bearing with
the new bridge. If you can do it without removing the sides of the case, then
you ought to think about that; getting the plate out and in is a snap if you
get the keybed out of the way and have the tackle to raise it. It doesn't
take much indexing since there are corner slots for the plate mortised in.
Good luck.
PR-J