SV: The JC ET part 1

Ola Andersson pianola@online.no
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 01:12:26 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Moody <remoody@midstatesd.net>

> One demonstration is worth 1000 words.  I guess I don't understand how
> F3 can be tuned 2bps flat when you are trying to find the correct rate
> of A--C#.  It seems it is easier to recognise the A--C# beat rather
> than guessing at F3--A3 being two beats flat.   A3 is tuned to the A4
> and can't be changed.  A3 is to C#4  you want to know the right rate
> here.  Sure you can set F3--A3 beat to be the same as C#4--F4  by
> tuning both F's  flat, but how does that tell you have C# right?
> Hopefully I will run into Jim at the convention and maybe he can
> demonstrate.

I thought so too. I dont know why it works but I beliave everything Jim Coleman says
I can only say that tuning auraly it works very well
Finding an equal speed is easier than finding a contigues relation.
If the F's are in tune but too flat the F3-A3 is too fast  and the C#4-F4 to slow this makes the third in the middle (A3-C#4) perfect (if they are equalbeating of course)
Funny but it works.
I hope I will run into Jim myself one day.

>     You say "| Yes but different pianos gives different beat speeds."
> I say they are so close at least in performing pianos the difference
> is not demonstrable or that the speeds are only a guide, not the final
> word.

On my consols I find the thirds usually having slower thirds than theory
On better grands I found reality being closer to theory

>I say the quality of tuning is in the quality of 5ths and
> "octave + 5 ths" and "double octave + 5ths".  These  count more than
> the beat rates of  3rds.  If tuning F flat and then retuning it
> correctly helps to get better 5ths then I am "all ears".    ---ric

I also use alot  5's and 4's in this temprement but I write about that in next post.
Give me a day or two. There are more good advice's from Jim Coleman.

When tuning Vallotti I've found out that I like to tune the pure 5ths first and the white tempered ones last. So by using this way of finding the A3-C#4 third I can tune the pure 5ths from C#4 and temper contigues the white 5ths and 4ths. Is this a good idea? I'm not an experienced HT tuner so don't take my word for it but I find it logic and it works. I wrote about that temprement to the list but didn't get any comments.

Yours

Ola Andersson