Steinway bridge replacement--should I?

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:55:30 -0400

At 11:32 AM 06/12/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear List,
>
>Have a customer with an old upright Steinway. Not sure of the age, but has
>the double flange action. The bass bridge is separated, and has many splits
>at the bridge pins, which necessitate the replacement of the bridge. I have
>not yet replaced a bridge, but it seems rather straightforward. However, on
>this piano, the left part of the bridge is somewhat behind the plate. I am
>concerned that the bridge removal might get a little hairy since the plate
>is in the way. On this piano, is it best to attempt bass bridge replacement
>with the plate out? If so, the customers will not likely go for that.
>
>Anyone have experience with these pianners?
>
>John Formsma
>Blue Mountain, MS

  When you say that the "bridge is serarated" are you talking about where
the apron
is glued to the foot or where the body is glued to the apron.

If the separation is at the cap and/or bridge pin line then you can router the
bridge down and install a new cap.

To do this, a base needs to be fashioned from plywood with a cut-out of the
curvature of the bridge body. Usually screws mounted underneath will adjust
its height.

I can go further into what depth to route for down bearing and how to
measure for this
if this is the course you can take.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician