soundboards improving with age? or what else?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 23:36:23 -0500

>HOw much crown is crown in a 10,000 Knabe Concert Grand?

How much have you got, and in what areas? Particularly the octave 5-6 area.

>I've checked the bearing on the bridges with a simple bearing guage and there
>is some positive bearing more or less throughout both bridges.

Which doesn't really tell you anything about the condition of the
soundboard, and the "more or less" isn't a real positive indication either.
How less is less?

>Can I project that if I keep the old soundboard and do the rest of the work
>properly that the instrument will achieve its potential with the present
>soundboard?
>
>I know I'm pushing my luck because the date of manufacture is approximately
>1865!
>Dan Franklin, RPT SingingTone

In my opinion, the current soundboard determines the limit of the potential
of the instrument, and it should be considerably better with a new board.
If the customer can't afford a new soundboard, then the piano will be what
it turns out to be. It will probably sound better with new strings, but
likely not realize it's full potential. He should know what the tradeoffs
are when he makes the decision.

Ron N