what is a nitwit? (OT, grin)

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 11:00:12 -0700

> > <grin> OOR, a "nit" is the egg of a louse, or sometimes, a young louse.
> > Picture the monkeys going through each other's fur, taking out parasites.
> > But we've sort of forgotten that picture, and use it for people who use
> > a large magnifying glass to look for itsy, bitsy problems or weaknesses,
> > especially in someone else's work or way of doing something.
> >
>One more question, I vaguely seem to remember to have asked the same thing a
>long time ago...
>What is the 'wit' in nit wit?
>
>Could it be, that it has something to do with the Dutch word 'weten'  >>> to
>know?

Wits are brains, so yes, it's close to 'weten'.

>In that case, a nit wit is a 'niet weter', a not know-er.
>WE also have the word 'betweter', short for : beter weter', meaning 'better
>know-er'.....

Not quite ... a nitwit is someone whose brain is about the size of a nit.
Like saying someone has a little tiny pea-brain.

>PS.
>
>English and old Dutch are actually very close, you know...

Yes, isn't it fun? When I realized that "IJ" in Dutch, like the name of that
island, (a double initial letter, with both capitalized!!) had turned into
"Y" in English, it was like a big light had switched on in my head. Why,
write it in cursive, and "Y" even LOOKS LIKE "IJ." And why else should
Y never show up in Dutch, and IJ look so weird to English eyes?

Vriendel'ij'ke groeten! "Friendl'ij' greetings!" LOL.

Susan