Tight Bushings/Roger's Fault

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 03:24:53 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2001 7:16 PM
  Subject: Tight Bushings/Roger's Fault

  I figured that would get your attention! Actually this is a big thank =
you to
  Roger Jolly for telling me about soaking action center bushings with
  water/alcohol solution to free tight action centers (I realize he did =
not
  invent this method, but he was the one that pushed me over the edge =
and
  convinced me to try it).

  I went to a new customer last week with a KimBalderetever (Kimball, =
Baldwin,
  Everett, whatever!) console. Press down the keys, half the hammers =
stay at
  the letoff position (everything on this puppy was slow - butt and =
wippen
  flanges, jacks, dampers). She had told me they were sticky, but I =
figured I
  would Protek them. When I saw just HOW SLOW they were I feared that =
Protek
  may not work. So I took the action back to my shop and doused every =
action
  center about six times (six wet/dry cycles) and let them dry, while =
working
  the action occasionally.

  When all was done and dry, everything was working very nice and easy - =
not
  too loose, and not too tight, just right! AMAZING. The lady called me =
  piano hero (whatever the heck that might be - sounded OK though)! I =
knew
  better, but hey, I said "thanks!"

  Thanks Roger.

  Terry Farrell

  Once I was reconditioning an old upright with the same problem.  I =
took the action out, put it outside in the hot summer sun while I went =
back in and did the cleaning, tightening, string seating, etc., then  =
went to lunch (checking the sky first for rain clouds).   Came back, and =
the action had loosened up enough to be regulateable and playable.  That =
worked on a couple other actions, too.  In the winter, I've put sluggish =
actions right in front of a heat register overnight, and in the morning =
they have freed up.  This may work only in fairly dry climates (?).  If =
the centers seize up again during humid weather though,  I'll use the =
other bushing- shrinking methods.   --Dave Nereson, RPT, Denver