Plate Ringing

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 08:00:31 -0400

I am aware of one problem with the 45" Steinways, but it seems like it =
may be different from your description - here goes anyway. Strike A#3 =
and any of the other keys within two or three steps from there. Do you =
notice a little bell (in addition to the regular tone of the note) going =
off with each note (individual pianos will have different notes that =
have this feature more or less prominently)? Is this the type of sound =
you might be hearing?
 =20
I had Steinway's head concert tech, Something Patterson (I think that =
was his name), poke around my 1098 for quite a while and decided the =
noise was not a sympathetic vibration, not voicing, not tuning, but =
rather likely a defect in the plate at the upper string termination. =
Nasty, nasty noises.

"One interesting note here. This piano was just purchased three months =
ago. I looked it up in the Atlas, it was produced in '96."

:-)   Yeah, and I'll bet they got a real good deal on it at a University =
Sale! (Don't get me GOING!)

And to quote the tech at my local Steinway dealer: "You'll get used to =
it - just learn to tune it out from your hearing!"

Boy, I was clutching my tuning hammer real tight for a while after that =
- just glad I didn't have it in hand when he said that!

  ----- Original Message -----=20