Decker Grand

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 08:18:52 -0400

Inspected a very early 1900s Decker 6' 1" grand today to give an estimate
for rebuilding. Piano is all original and worn out. Needs new board, action,
etc. (I have learned so much from this list - I could tell the board easily
just from listening - the upper-most 2-1/2 octaves were quiet as a mouse,
but then just below G5, the piano was plenty loud).

Interesting on this piano was two things: 1) The framing underneath - never
seen such massive framing - more than a Bosendorfer - I think there were at
least seven LARGE for-and-aft beams and several cross members - there was
more wood under there than air space!, and 2) Forward string terminations -
capo in all four scale sections - no agraffes, only capo-type bars.

I was a little surprised to find the capos throughout the stringing scale,
normally (perhaps inappropriately) associating such a feature with small
three-sectioned Brambachs and Aeolean grands - and this piano (at least
judging from the massive framing and very thick rim) is of rather high
quality. Any thoughts on the pros & cons of capos throughout and/or Deckers
in general?

Terry Farrell