Noisy action

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 08:43:12 -0700

Dan,
I did check that and I did think they were overly noisy.  Is there any way
to quiet down that area without replacing all of the wippen cushions?  And
if so, will it diminish the effect of the "great cornering ability"?

Thanks for your input.

jeannie

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of thepianoarts
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2001 7:36 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Noisy action

Hi Jeannie,

Could Mr. Walter have specified a hard felt for the capstan contact
material? It makes for a 'no-wasted energy' resons to touch, but a nosiy
release. Kind of like stiff schocks on a sports car...great cornering
ability, but with the price of a bumpy ride.
    I test for that (hard capstan contact felt) problem by...

-Holding down the key, (behind the balance rail) and with the hammer out of
the picture, lifting and droping the whippen (from the jack toe) onto the
capstan, to see if I can duplicate the sound.

Let us know your result.

Dan Reed
Dallas chapter