Deceptive Advertising

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 10:33:50 -0500

> Nothing in the script is false. Maybe a little exaggerated, but
it is all true.

Among the finest in the world?
Concert length keys?
Perfection in key weighting?
What's "master-crafted"?  Really?  Is that a type of computer automated
machine?
Finest materials?
Exhaustively tested?
Why are they sending so many back?  What do Larry Fine's surveys say about
these fine instruments?
Apparently they need even more testing with the problems they're having.
I consider this to be similar to all "stencil" pianos like DH Baldwin,
Kohler & Campbell, Chickering, etc.  The salesmen here at the University
sales forget to tell the consumer that they are Korean Made and that makes
me furious.  When I show the customer the tiny "Made in Korea" sticker
behind one of the legs (After I've spent a couple of hours or days easing
keys, actions, fixed buzzes, clicks, etc., etc., etc., etc), they flip.  The
ignorant consumer thinks they are buying a Baldwin with quality from decades
past, made here.  It's misleading and often outright lying.  It's a crime
that the industry and often times technicians turn their heads to it and I
think pressure should be applied at least through the technician to shine a
light of truth in these rip-off scams.  If we were mislead this way when
buying products, (a Roll Royce made in Czech or Korea or a Martin guitar
made in Vietnam) we'd consider it for what it really is.  If the dealer had
a conscience they would not be a part of this misleading advertising.  No
one wants to take responsibility, blame it on the Chinese as though the
dealer has no control or say.  They can refuse to sell it and take the high
road, but they are selling out and are just as guilty.  They'll take the
check when it's written to them.  Just a little rant on what I consider a
crime to innocent, trusting people and something that I think the industry
as a whole is suffering from.  I hope that some day we will look back and be
appalled that it went on as long as it did.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net