advertising & stuff

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 00:39:56 -0400

Phil,
Well stated.  My feelings exactly. I, too, had a big hang-up about no shows.
Thinking back several years ago, I guess I was subconsciously trying to get
revenge for their lack of attention with customers who can't keep an
appointment.
I used to just leave a bill for the failed service call, along with a note
reminding them that they missed their appointment.  I think maybe one person
was apologetic enough to send the service call bill.  The rest blew me off.
Which was fine. But still, mind you, I was the one who was looking to get
even.  Not them. From a psychological point of view, (they) not responding
gives them the power to say "forget about it".
Then I finally chilled out a bit and now leave a very nice pre-printed
"sorry we missed each other" flyer on their door, with no bill.  The letter
is non-confrontational and basically says it appears one of us apparently
wrote the appointment time down incorrectly and I'll be happy to reschedule
this for at my earliest convenience. This style yields a lot of responses
with  apologies included.
I live in an area where senior citizens are the majority, bless their
hearts, and they keep extremely busy. Between golf, tennis, bingo, screwing
up the last Presidential election (  Palm Beach County), and then
complaining why their vote got screwed up, they have a plateful of things to
keep track of.  They do get forgetful...it comes with the territory.  Most
of the times by the time I get home they are horrified at the very thought
that they inconvienced someone.  Many times they will offer to cover my time
and trouble to be at their home at the agreed time.  Now that's a loyal
customer. If it happens a second time...then  I begin to hit the delete
button on my PTG Biz program.
  Looking at the big picture, my schedule is so thick that many times the
no-show is a welcome "happy nap" time and I either will relax a bit or catch
up on the many of other things that need to get done.
I agree with you whole-heartedly...get over it. It's not worth the hassle.
It's their loss.  And if they don't respond with an apology then they get
put on the schmuck list...forever!
Tom Servinsky, RPT