Paul tunenbww@clear.lakes.com
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 07:46:59 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Howard S. Rosen <hsrosen@gate.net>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 12:22 PM

> <!--StartFragment-->Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 14:44:24 -0500
> From: "Paul" <tunenbww@clear.lakes.com>
> Subject: Re:
>
> Howard
> Just curious,being an aural tuner, how many beats, or what beat rates do
you
> hear in your stretched double octaves?
>
> Paul Chick
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> Most of the time a get about one cps in the double octave which usually
> yields a clean triple octave. This, of course, does vary from piano to
> piano. I find that if I achieve my priority of clean triple octaves, then
> the treble sounds musically nice to me (playing melodically). On the other
> hand, there are some beasts whose treble never sounds right to me no
matter
> what I do. On those instruments, tuning the treble to sound musically
> acceptable melodically, will yield unacceptably stretched octaves (played
> harmonically). So in those cases I stretch as much as I can, and grit my
> teeth on the way to the bank to cash my check.
>
> Seriously, I really don't know if this is the best approach, as this
aspect
> of our work is highly subjective. Since 97% of my customers don't hear the
> difference between a stretched octave and a clean 2:1 octave, I view this
as
> a personal mental exercise/puzzle to solve.
>
> Howard S. Rosen, RPT
> 7262 Angel Falls Ct.
> Boynton Beach, Fl  33437
>
> hsrosen@gate.net
> 561-737-2057
>
> Howard
Thanks for the reply. What you are doing seems to be very close to what I am
doing. I've often wondered if my approach was acceptable. I do tend to
stretch my tunings. I use the 4:2 a lot and often balance the beats (very
slow beats, usually 1/2 to 1 bps) between the 4:2 note at the bottom and the
12th- a fifth below the bottom note. The sound is quite pleasing to me, and
judging by the clientele that keeps calling, they think so too! I've come to
the conclusion that the pianos that don't respond well are pianos that
owners have listened to for years and don't expect to hear anything but
jangling unisons and octaves. They just need to feel that they are taking
care of their ........ah.......instruments and that's all that matters.
I'll be in Reno at the big one. Hope they have a spot for the tech list
members to meet and put faces on words.

Paul Chick