soundboards improving with age? or what else?

antares antares@EURONET.NL
Mon, 04 Jun 2001 20:27:27 +0200

> Golly I certainly hope there is "potential in aging" since I am an unwilling
>> participant! :-)
>> Jim Bryant (FL)
>
> Grin... I certainly do like your sense of humour Jim.
>
> I think Andre and I are talking past each other more then anything else.. tho
> no
> doubt he is very convinced that new is better
>

> --
> Richard Brekne
> RPT, N.P.T.F.
> Bergen, Norway
> mailto:rbrekne@broadpark.no

Well Ricardo, then let me tell you that inside my very house I have a very
very old Bechstein upright form I think 1892.
It has been totally restored. The soundboard has new ribs, it has new
strings, and the action has been taken apart and completely renewed.
The sound is mellow and creamy.
Now that's a sound you can't buy anymore.
I just sold that instrument to real piano lovers, and for my wife, who is a
composer and a pianist I will now make ready a nice old Steinway O.

But indeed, I stick to my statement that newer instruments have a more
lively and powerful tone.
It's just that I can't afford to buy a new Steinway man!

Friendly greetings
from

André Oorebeek
Amsterdam, Holland