It won't be a Steinway anymore!

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Sat, 02 Jun 2001 18:48:26 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> "Hmmm.. I wonder about this statement.  I have heard pianos that
> definantly improved with time. Not your heavily used instruments
> that get just plane beat to smitherins... but Intruments that get
> used a good deal, nicely as it were... and significantly (me
> thinks anyways..) they all seemed to have a pretty optimal
> environment." In the short term, yes, many variables. But take 100
> hi-quality violins at  age 100 years and 100 hi-quality pianos at
> age 100 years. Which group sounds/plays most like they did when
> new - or better. I think the violins win. No?

If thats true then we would have to ask ourselves why it is... and
what immediatly comes to my mind is whether a piano can have
anywhere near optimal climatic conditions combined with reasonably
good maintanance over such a long time. Where as a violin may very
easily have that kind of a life for so long a period.

Its all probably moot anyways.  Who's going to provide those kind of
conditions for a piano over so many years to find out... ? Talk
about your time consuming experiment.

Still.. its interesting to think about.

--
Richard Brekne