It won't be a Steinway anymore!

antares antares@EURONET.NL
Sat, 02 Jun 2001 20:59:25 +0200

> Farrell wrote:
>
>> "Hmmm.. I wonder about this statement.  I have heard pianos that
>> definantly improved with time. Not your heavily used instruments
>> that get just plane beat to smitherins... but Intruments that get
>> used a good deal, nicely as it were... and significantly (me
>> thinks anyways..) they all seemed to have a pretty optimal
>> environment." In the short term, yes, many variables. But take 100
>> hi-quality violins at  age 100 years and 100 hi-quality pianos at
>> age 100 years. Which group sounds/plays most like they did when
>> new - or better. I think the violins win. No?
>
> If thats true then we would have to ask ourselves why it is... and
> what immediatly comes to my mind is whether a piano can have
> anywhere near optimal climatic conditions combined with reasonably
> good maintanance over such a long time. Where as a violin may very
> easily have that kind of a life for so long a period.
>
> Its all probably moot anyways.  Who's going to provide those kind of
> conditions for a piano over so many years to find out... ? Talk
> about your time consuming experiment.
>
> Still.. its interesting to think about.
>
> --
> Richard Brekne
> RPT, N.P.T.F.
> Bergen, Norway
> mailto:rbrekne@broadpark.no

OK,
some facts :

A violin has far less mechanical parts.
A violin has only four strings.
A violin has far less tension and pressure.
A violin is much quicker and easier to open.
It is much easier to replace bass bar and soundboard post.
It is much easier to do repairs on the inside of a violin.
The 'body' of a violin is much smaller.
Strings are much easier to replace, without 'repinning'

Maybe some more reasons?
No wonder it lasts longer, what?

Anyway...
The other day I heard a very interesting broadcast on the classical music
station :
It was about an string orchestra with only << brand new instruments!
and it sounded fabulous!

The longer I have been in the piano bizz, the more I am beginning to doubt
the axiomas about a violin getting better year by year.
Actually, I am beginning to think more and more about the story of the
emperors clothes.
With a good wine there is a limited amount of years for ripening. After that
it will become a sour chemical reaction.
The same thing with wood : Over time, it will change for sure. The juices
are running out even more, the cells dry out even more, there will be no
more 'movement' except due to heat/cold and humidity/dryness and the remains
are getting more and more 'brittle' (is that a good word?)

The very same thing happens to our pianos and pianofortes.
And... if you don't keep stringing instruments in a decent shape, they'll be
gone very soon too.

Maybe we grew up with the idea that stringing instruments get better over
the years by definition? Why does a fresh copy of a pianoforte sound much
fuller and more powerful than the old one?

To me it seems that fresh wood has more elasticity and that it sounds better
because of it and, because of a new and first downbearing/crown.
The first years are always the best, and that's the reason why concert D's
disappear from the stage after just a number of years.

Friendly greetings
from

André Oorebeek
Amsterdam, Holland