time, killer 8va

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 31 May 2001 19:40:49 EDT

In a message dated 5/31/01 3:27:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
dnereson@dimensional.com writes:

> Such as:  Where exactly is this "killer octave" everybody talks about?  I
> remember the term used in a Journal article a couple years ago, but had
> never heard of it before that.  I assume it's up in the mid to high treble
> somewhere.  (?)    --Dave Nereson, RPT, Denver

Dave, where have you been? Those of us who talk all the time on the list have
found a way to sleep while tuning pianos, so that we can spend all night
reading and answering mail. We don't actually tune the piano, mind you. We
just go through the motions. We've done it so often it's automatic. Try it.
You'll be surprised how easy it is to do, and then even get paid for doing it.

The killer octave(s) are octaves 6 and 7 on most pianos. Steinways have the
most problems in this area, but other makes can give you an equal challenge.

Willem