time, killer 8va

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 31 May 2001 19:36:15 EDT

In a message dated 5/31/01 6:05:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
dnereson@dimensional.com (Dave Nereson) writes:

> "Core group" of this list:  Do you guys actually work on pianos or just sit
> at the computer and talk about 'em all day?  Just kidding, but from the
> number and length of these posts from a lot of the same people, I wonder
> where you find the time, or when you sleep.  I learn a lot from this
> newsgroup but can't read 50 to 80 posts every  day, though I'd like to -- I
> have to just quickly scan, maybe respond to the ones I think I can help
> with and hope others will do the same for my questions.  Such as:  Where
> exactly is this "killer octave" everybody talks about?  I remember the term
> used in a Journal article a couple years ago, but had never heard of it
> before that.  I assume it's up in the mid to high treble somewhere.  (?)

Dave, some people enjoy spending their free moments and leisure time at the
computer.  Writing in clear detail about any issue helps sort it out and
organize it in one's own mind.  Some people enjoy expressing themselves
through writing.

I don't think very many people read any and every post on the List.  I sure
don't.  I skim lot's of the ones I do read and just delete topics that don't
catch my interest.  This shouldn't be taken the wrong way.  I read the
newspaper the same way.  Who in the world reads every page of the Sunday
paper?

If you don't have time to read all of the posts and by their titles, you
don't think you'd be interested, just highlight the top one of any group,
move to the bottom of that group, press the Shift key and highlight the
bottom, then press the Delete key.  I love to see how it flickers when it is
deleting hundreds of e-mails at a time.

There has been a discussion of the term, "Killer Octave" before.  If you know
how to search the archives, enter that as a search title and many posts
should come up.

The term itself is jargon and therefore best avoided in writing.  It doesn't
appear to mean the same thing to everyone which is another reason to avoid
using it.  It refers to a particular stretch of the scale of a piano which is
both difficult to tune accurately and to voice.  To me, it is the span from
F4-F5 although it may be thought of as anywhere in the 4th, 5th and 6th
octaves.

It makes things a lot simpler to just refer to the group of notes in question
by identifying them with their octave number.  Whether here, in the Journal
or in a class at the Convention or a seminar, there are people with certain
gaps in their knowledge which they are trying to fill, there are beginners,
there are people who have never heard the jargon and there are people for
whom English is a second language.  Using such ill-defined jargon is not only
unnecessary, it's counterproductive.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin