Soundboard Problems.

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 19:19:28 -0700

   =20
    Today I saw a new Kohler and Campbell 52" upright, ( made by Samick, =
of course.)  The customer was complaining about some of the notes =
buzzing. ( Our favorite kind of call, eh?)
    I got to the house, introduced myself, and we got to the piano. He =
played a couple of notes, and I thought "Whoa, I'd complain too." The =
notes sounded weak and hollow, and fuzzy to the extreme. First I checked =
the bridges and termination points, no problem. Then I started checking =
the cabinet by putting my hands on anything I thought that might be =
loose. Then I tried tightening every screw I could find.=20
    Anyway, after more than an hour of this nonsense, I moved the piano =
away from the wall to tighten the screws on the soundboard buttons, and =
to generally have a look back there. I started hitting the soundboard =
with the heal of my hand on the ribs. When I got to the top center of =
the soundboard, I could hear a clack. I then pushed on the soundboard =
near the center, and I could see a gap between the SB and the =
back-inner-frame-liner thingee. I'm going to have to get this thing back =
to the shop a get some glue in that gap, and then see what it sounds =
like.
    My question to this esteemed gathering is, shouldn't this have been =
glued at the factory? And yet, I don't see any evidence of any glue =
having ever been applied to this joint.=20
    The reason I'm asking is that I'm not a rebuilder, but I know that =
on a grand the SB is glued to the inner rim. Not on this upright.=20
    This should be an easy one, just tell me if I made the right call.=20

Kevin E. Ramsey, R.P.T.
ramsey@extremezone.com=20