bosendorfer research

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:27:10 EDT

In a message dated 7/25/01 7:40:43 AM Central Daylight Time,
dwight_pile@hotmail.com writes:

> my days teaching polyester finish repairs at PTG
> conventions (Bronte Group--Konig).

You mean the Annual National PTG Convention? :)

> I have a two part question for you folks.  It arises from a consultation I
> am doing for an insurance company.  'Seems a Bosendorfer imperial falling
> off a ramp in a forest does make a sound...

Was any one there to witness the sound?  If not, then how do we know it made
a sound?  :)

> 1)  has anyone ever experienced loss of crown as a result of a minor
> dropping of a piano?  This might sound like a silly question, but that is
> what the technicians for the plaintiff are claiming.  Any thoughts?

> 2)  what would you value a 30 year old Bosey imperial at with a zero crown,
> 0.5mm downbearing only on the front of the bridge,

.5 mm downbearing is not zero crown. I get the feeling the technician in
question is trying to make lots of money by persuading the insurance company
to let him replace the soundboard, or get a commission for selling a new one.

> several ivory keys, and poor regulation and tuning
> stability?  Please indicate if you are using U$ or CAN dollars!

What is the value? In $US, according the spring/summer 2001 Ancott directory,
a brand new Bosy 290 Imperial grand retails for $175,000. Take 30% off for
age, and deduct costs for repairs. The repairs might include removing the
pate, (thus the strings), and repairing the soundboard, and restringing,
regulation, etc.

I don't know the extend of the case repairs, but the total restoration costs
is not going to exceed the value of the piano. Therefore, it is definitely
worth doing. The question is, who is going to do it? In this case, it might
be worth it to ship the piano back to Vienna.

Willem Blees