bosendorfer research

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 08:18:31 -0500

>1)  has anyone ever experienced loss of crown as a result of a minor
>dropping of a piano?  This might sound like a silly question, but that is
>what the technicians for the plaintiff are claiming.  Any thoughts?

Not silly at all. This question comes up locally every year or so from a
customer with a freshly moved piano. No, I don't see any way that dropping
a piano short of destroying it would flatten the board. How could it? Even
then, the remaining pieces of the soundboard would have as much crown as
they did in the piano. I suspect that no tech had ever actually checked the
crown prior to the move. If they had, they would have most likely found the
same conditions you're seeing now.

>2)  what would you value a 30 year old Bosey imperial at with a zero crown,
>0.5mm downbearing only on the front of the bridge, beaten-up body, cracks in
>several ivory keys, and poor regulation and tuning stability?  Please
>indicate if you are using U$ or CAN dollars!

I have no idea, but considering the very small market for 9'(+) pianos, I
would think it's not worth much. If it is eventually sold cheap, Stephen
Airy is interested.

Ron N