Sandblasting piano plates

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:02:54 EDT

In a message dated 7/23/01 1:05:15 PM Central Daylight Time, cfaulk2@juno.com
writes:

> Has anyone had any experience with sandblasting piano plates in
> preparation for finishing? I'm tired of dealing with contamination on old
> plate finishes and thought this might offer a solution.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Charles Faulk

Charles

I had a fire damaged plate sandblasted about 20 years ago. Perhaps we didn't
specify to the sand blasting company our requirements, but the plate came
back pitted.  I think cast iron is too soft to be sandblasted. But, as I
said, maybe the blaster was too hard, or the sand was too course. No amount
of sanding, or priming the pate got the plate to look smooth.

Before resorting the sand blasting, if you have contamination problems, try
scrubbing the plate with a degreaser, like 409. I like "Simply Green." You
can also steel wool it with Naphtha.

Good luck

Wim