harmonics vs. partials

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:06:00 -0700

Ron,

The terms partial, harmonic and overtone have been used interchangeably
but, in a strict sense, there are distinctions.

Harmonics refer to the theoretical multiples of the fundamental
frequency, the first harmonic equal to the fundamental.

Partials are what we call the real world ladder of fundamental and
multiples of fundamental tones, which on a piano normally deviate from
the harmonic ideal.

The word overtone refers to harmonics or partials above the fundamental
and therefore have a different numbering than harmonics and partials.

I believe that ETD manuals use the word partial consistently.

Tom Cole