Sandblasting piano plates

Ralph & Frances Thorn pianoralph@sympatico.ca
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:01:13 -0400

Hello Charles and list,

Yes, my finisher has done this several times, once in a bid to remove
something migrating up through the finish, and other times to get
through a general mess.  Each time he has been able to build up the
surface with spayed coats of auto-body surfacer, and then standard
undercoat/topcoats.  Very successful, ending up with a beautifully
smooth finish, but costly.  Drastic steps sometimes bring wonderful
paybacks; we often try to avoid these procedures, but we shouldn't be
afraid of them.  (As someone else mentioned about replacing back
actions with a new Renner kit)

Ralph Thorn