Fallboard/Music desk lever

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 03:33:26 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Phil Romano
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2001 3:52 PM
Subject: Fallboard/Music desk lever

Hi List,

I have need of the lever that is pushed by the fall assembly and causes the
music desk to open. It is for a Hallet and Davis 54" upright # 96155 circa
1917. Does anyone have one lying around the shop? Please email me privately
if you would be willing to part with it.

What is the name of this lever? It's not in Mason's book.

Phil Romano
Myrtle Beach, SC
philromano@attglobal.net

I've never seen a name for it either.  Front panel pusher-opener?  S -
Lever?  Fallboard/music rack interface?   Anyhow, I've made my own by first
cutting an experimental shape out of cardboard, then either bending and
twisting a piece of thick strap iron or steel (need a heavy-duty vise, heavy
hammer, and a large diameter pipe to bend it around) or cutting an S-shape
out of 3/4" plywood.  Or a stout 1 x 2 with L-brackets fastened to either
end and bent with the proper curves to make it work.  Or I suppose one could
use 1/4" plate aluminum and cut it out on a bandsaw.  Somebody who does
wrought iron or blacksmithing could make one, if you had the pattern drawn
out first.  Every piano make seemed to have a different shape.  Sorry I
don't have any extras.   --Dave Nereson, RPT