Plate removal ???: Need more suggestions

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 01:42:27 EDT

In a message dated 20/07/01 11:52:45 PM, davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

<< It seems that the plate and block may have been assembled outside the
piano with the carriage bolts fastening to the underside of the block where
the block sits on the inner rim.  Then the block/plate was dropped into the
piano and the block glued to the inner rim.  Es posible?  If so, this would
make removing the plate more difficult, no? >>

Well the scenario you have put forth is conceivable but rather unlikely.
There are several ways to tell:

1. Put a jack under the pinblock and raise it until the block pops free from
the rim...this will tell you sevral things in the following manner(s):

a. The block won't pop loose but the keybed is getting further away from the
block and a crack is appearing between the keybed and rim....not good but it
tells you that the glue joint on the keybed needs repair! :-)

b. Said jack under pinblock and nothing moves.......this 'could' tell you
that the bolts are indeed through bolts and you need to look
again...closer...for any filled holes unde the keybed which would indicate
through bolts.

c. Said jack under pinblock and nothing moves.......this 'could' tell you
that the bolts
are fastened to the block only but that the block is screwed and/or doweled
to the rim under the plate.

 David these are the only three possibilities I can think of right now. As a
last resort you 'could' drill out the head of these carriage bolts, pull the
plate and then determine how the bolts were installed.....knock out the bolts
and replace with new.

 I still kinda favor the through bolts to the bottom of the keybed as someone
else suggested as I have done several Chickerings with this type bolt
thingees.
Jim Bryant (FL)