EBVT observation

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:10:07 EDT

In a message dated 7/16/01 10:38:43 AM Central Daylight Time,
pianomitch@hotmail.com (Mitch Ruth) writes:

> The only teacher who expressed a dislike was the one I told about the new
> temperment.

It's a typical thing to have happen and one good reason not to say anything
to anyone.  If I were to tune a piano in EBVT at the Convention for a recital
and no one knew about it, there would only be comments afterwards about how
wonderful that Brand X piano sounds, not about *UNEQUAL* 3rds or anything
else.

Thanks for your comments, Mitch, I really appreciate them.  It's ironic
because I just returned from a large church which had me tune the Chickering
Console piano in the sanctuary.  There is also a Steinway D there.  Once, I
was asked to tune it.  It is a rebuilt instrument that was once proudly
displayed at a Regional Seminar and represented as "state of the art"
rebuilding.  The blue stringing felts and the glitter in the plate finish
were part of that art, I guess.

Anyway, when I got to it several years later, I was shocked at how poor the
alignment and regulation were.  I didn't say anything to the church about it
but called that technician.  An answering machine responded.  I simply left a
calm message saying that the action needed work and that I thought it better
to let the technician know about the problem directly rather than reporting
it to the church.

The next time I was called, I was asked to tune all the pianos in the church
*except* the Steinway D.  There was a big note in bold face black pen warning
me not to touch that piano.  LOL

So, today, I go to tune the console and did so at Standard Pitch, as usual.
When I was nearly done, a man came in telling me that "the two pianos will be
used together".  He seemed to imply that however the Steinway was tuned, I
should try to match my tuning to it.  I told him that I was tuning the piano
to Standard Pitch and as long as the other one was tuned that way, there
would be no problem.

He said I should at least check how the other was tuned because "we don't
want the two to be a 1/4 step apart or anything".  I answered that I would
only tune to Standard Pitch and was not allowed to touch the other piano.  He
said, "OK, then, I have no control over that situation".

When I finished tuning the console, I went over to the Steinway D.  I found
A4 to be exactly on pitch but the unisons were somewhat poor but worse, 4ths,
5ths and 3rds were all inconsistent.  Some of the 5ths were noticeably
tempered, more than any are in the EBVT.  I played a big C Major chord and it
sounded downright awful, a horribly confused, blaring, rapidly beating, out
of tune and out of focus sound.  G major sounded about the same.  Curiously,
F# Major sounded somewhat milder, more at rest.

This folks, is Reverse Well.  It is what happens when a technician believes
in ET only and violently rejects any thought of any other style of tuning.
Over the years, the quality of the tuning deteriorates into a mess that
cannot be cleaned up and gets worse as the years accumulate.

It's shocking and sad to encounter because it doesn't have to be that way.
It leads to pianists not listening to what they play because virtually
everything has that "off" and out of focus sound to it.  This, my friends, is
the end result of 100 years or so of the dogmatic teaching of Helmholtz and
William Braide White.  It's a dead end that needs to be reopened for
discovery.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin