restringing bass

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 13:50:51 EDT

In a message dated 7/14/01 4:22:11 AM Central Daylight Time, jstuart1@pdq.net
writes:

> I have seen tilters in the catalogs, do they really work and are they safe?
> How many people does it take to tilt the piano up and back? I am 5'6 and
> 155 lb. Judy

Tilters work great when you want to restring, dope the pin block (if you feel
the need to do that), repair/replace casters, tighten the bottom board.

Judy, I don't know. I have no trouble, but then I'm 6' 240 lbs. Before you
buy one, find out who has one, and try it. I think for a spinet or console
you probably have the leverage. But for a big upright, there might be too
much mass for you to pull back on. I don't think it is muscle as much as it
your weight that will help pull the piano back.

Wim