hammer replacement

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 18:29:53 -0600

Hi Ed,
Light bulb!
How are you  going to Reno. Car?
What route?
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ed Carwithen=20
  To: Piano Tech List=20
  Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 8:40 PM
  Subject: hammer replacement

  Dear List.

  I am working on a Hamilton/Baldwin 5' grand.  The owner has decided =
that he wants to replace the hammers due to damage from wine spilled =
into piano.    What am I letting myself in for??  I will get the new =
hammers from Schaff.  They list several weights; 12 lb, 14 lb, 16 lb.  =
Which should I ask for?  They also list a striking distance of 1 7/8, 2" =
and 2-1/8".  The action handbook says a blow distance of 1 7/8", but the =
Schaff catalogue says to "measure from the center of the bore hole to =
the top of the felt, allowing for wear on #88 hammer."  Whoa... what the =
heck does this mean when I have already shaped the hammers and taken off =
felt?

  Ed Carwithen
  John Day =20