Damp Chaser in old upright

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sat, 07 Jul 2001 18:39:30 -0600

Hi Keith,

It was my second visit to that piano. I had seen it *new* and then not for
twenty years. It is, of course, possible that the wood spontaniously
cracked. But I have never seen a piano with a DC unit develope a crack.

What other factors other than humidity extremes can cause cracking of the
soundboard? Dropping? This instrument had not been moved.

I have seen units without pads a few times. Units without water are common
in institutions which is why I will not install in any situation now
without the "smart bar".

At 06:01 PM 07/07/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>>...It was on a grand piano. The soundboard cracked. It had been plugged in
>>backwards for many years. I always check each installation.
>>Don Rose...
>
>Hi Don, List,
>
>Hopefully a little more clarification for me, please.
>
>Many years would indicate it had not been checked by you prior, so I trust
>you are saying that this was your first visit to this piano, or that after
>having discovered this particular situation, you have, since that point in
>time, established the policy to check each complete Dampp-Chaser
>installation.
>
>Also, how were you able to determine without reservation that the crack in
>the soundboard on this grand piano was caused by the complete Dampp-Chaser
>system being plugged in backwards, and not by other factors and/or
>circumstances that could have easily occurred during those many years?
>
>Keith McGavern
>Registered Piano Technician
>Oklahoma Chapter 731
>Piano Technicians Guild