Damp Chaser in old upright

jstuart1 jstuart1@pdq.net
Fri, 06 Jul 2001 18:34:39 -0500

I am currently repairing the action to an old upright built in 1911.
This piano has had a Damp Chaser or similar product in it for almost 25
years. This is the first piano I have seen that has such a system.
Almost all of the sticker felts have come loose, a couple of jacks have
become unglued and the catcher buckskins were dry rotted so badly that
just a touch causes them to fall off clean to the wood. I have seen wear
in these old uprights but while there is definitly wear I have never
seen so many glue joints just let go like this. I am curious if this is
a result of the Damp Chaser system having been in the piano for over 25
years constantly heating the inside.

I am merely a beginner but this is the first time I have seen this. This
piano has been in a family home since it was originally purchased in
1911 and never stored in a garage or other such area. Instead of
moisture damage which I have seen, this appears to have been plain dried
out.

JStuart