pitch change

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Fri, 06 Jul 2001 18:51:11 -0500

John,

This doesn't help with your problem, but it could indicate how the change
occured.
In the soggy New Orleans area a local caterer had his business and residence
next door to Slidell Chamber of Commerce.  He owned a 40 plus year old console
that I had tuned annually for ten years.  The tuning was very stable, needing
little adjustment each time I serviced it.  The Chamber rented the instrument
for their Independence Day Bash.  The caterer, being a smart operator,  charged
them for two tunings, one at their location and a retune once the piano was
returned to his home.

Remember this piano had been very stable for years, but didn't have a D/C
system.  The C of  C  picked up the piano at 8a.m. and installed it on the
outside porch of their building.  At 10a.m., your's truly arrived to do my
thing.  A4 measured 13 cents sharp!!  The piano was used by the C of C until it
was returned to the caterer at 6:30p.m that day.   At 9a.m. the next day, I
measured A4 again at 18 cents sharp!!  For those of you still using your forks,
that's nearly a third of a half-step in 23 hours!
The temperature was in the 90's and humidity high 80's

I submit that your church may have had "dinner on the ground" and left the
church doors open without the airconditioning on.  I'd say you were lucky it
wasn't a bigger change!

Sweltering Fisher

--
Warren Fisher RPT                   Beginners & Lurkers
fish@Communique.net                 Basic Pianotech discussed