Piano Value Appreciation

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 06 Jul 2001 19:29:19 -0400

Terry,

Maybe the Forbes quote would have been more accurate if it said, "the retail
price of a new Steinway concert grand is now 200% of what it was ten years
ago."  I could believe that.

For what it's worth:  A local school bought a new Steinway B (complete with
Teflon bushings) in 1979 for $11,000 (list price was $14,000).  The price in the
Fall-Winter 2000-2001 issue of the Ancott subscription puts the current price at
$53,900.

As far as investments go, if one would have invested that $11,000 in the stock
market 22 years ago (in 1979) and averaged 10% increase per year, s/he would now
have $89,543 (taxes not figured in either example here).

I can easily understand how one might buy a fine Steinway for its musical
qualities.  I also believe that a new Steinway will hold its value better than
nearly all other new pianos.  But strictly as an investment, I would put my
money somewhere else.

I'm glad you're feeling better.  <G>

Regards,
Clyde