1977 Yamaha U1

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Fri, 06 Jul 2001 11:38:15 -0600

Hi John,

What is possibly happening other than the plate bolts is that the A.C. is
turned off at nights. This causes the R.H. to move up and down very
rapidly. I suggest repairing the stripped bolts as you intend, and then
adding a complete DC system *with* a plastic back cover. The Church will
soon have the outlay of money back in their coffers and the piano will
sound great all the time.

How tight are the tuning pins?

Pitch change in hertz at A4 is about 1 hertz (or 4 cents) for each 5%
change in humidity--once the piano has stablized at the new higher
humidity. In your case, the piano was still *catching up* to the higher
humidity level so that is why you saw such a dramatic change.

At 07:07 AM 07/06/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings, List.
>
>Have a perpetual problem with a church 1977 U1, #2467469, that I would like
>opinions on.
>
>heating/cooling system at this church is a contributing factor. They
>typically have RH extremes of 28%-75%. In the summer, the RH is often over
>70%, which is where I measured it yesterday. The piano does not have a DC
>system installed, which we know would help matters some at least.
>
>I had last tuned this piano on 4/6/01 with the temperature and humidity at
>72F and 63%. The piano was basically at A440 at that time. Yesterday, the
>temp was 70F and the RH was 70%. The piano was sharp everywhere--A4 was +12,

Regards,

mailto:drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.xoasis.com/

3004 Grant Rd.