chickering surprise

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Fri, 06 Jul 2001 17:45:21

Hi all

I've got a old chickering grand I'm regulating.  I ran into something to
watch out for in the future.  The main complaint was that the piano was real
uneven.  This action had some work done years ago. (new hammers and a few
replacement parts that didn't match!)

So the surprise for me was that the single repetition spring was a double
string attachment, not just into a slot. (one on the jack, the other on the
balancer)  The previous tech must have worked from above to strengthen the
springs, and missed the string loop.  About 30% were out, causing all manner
of strange friction readings.

Hope your weekends are enjoyable!

Ron Koval
Chicagoland