Strike Point

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 17:00:32 +0930

Hi List

We recently had a subject        Piano Choice Thoughts please.=20

Different pianos were discussed, different tones, some suitable for pre =
Beethoven music, some all round and so on.

I also am in a funny position where I should be giving advise but have =
to be careful (ha ha) of how many toes I tread on.

Thus, before I put foot in mouth, I have decided to get some facts =
instead of relying on faulty memory.

Bosendorfer hammer's strike on 1/7 of the string length and Steinway's =
hammers strike on 1/8 of the string length.     True or false.

Because the Bose strike point is 1/7th, this makes the tone more =
suitable to playing with a string ensemble and in small halls and if =
played with an orchestra, because the 7th partial is missing and the 8th =
more prominent the Bose looses power.

This is the story I read ? somewhere to explain why Steinways are played =
with orchestras and Bosendorfers are not.

I understand that most pianists prefer a Bose as a piano to play as a =
piano but when an Orchestra is involved, they often switch to other =
brands.

Comments please.

Tony Caught