Redesigning Name Brands

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 17:23:34 +0930

Hi Tom,

I think that you will find that all who do modify pianos (when it works out)
use the modification to further there own reputations. An example would be
the Yamaha G2 modified by Ron Overs.

The piano is still a Yamaha, but, modified scale, modified soundboard and
bridges, new action ?, and etc.

A reconditioned G2 is worth say $16,000.00, Ron wants $22,500.00 because in
his opinion the modified piano plays and sounds better than the non modified
one.

I think that Ron would sooner call the piano an Overs instead of a Yamaha
but in reality it is still a Yamaha.

I suppose it's much the same with cars. The Cobra and the Selby Cobra is one
instance and then there is all the Show cars, modified and chopped to blazes
but still called by their original name because they want people to know
what they started with.

When I restring (rescaled) pianos and use non original type hammers, I tell
the customer, put it in writing and write something on a key in the piano.
when I design and build a piano I put the Name Caute on it.

Regards

Tony Caught