Redesigning Name Brands

Tom J Armstrong pianostom@juno.com
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 00:06:29 -0700

I've enjoyed the discussion lately about whether it is acceptable to
modify, redesign, or even use non-factory parts on certain pianos, such
as S & S.

On one hand, a piano, once purchased, really is the property of the
owner.  The owner doesn't need permission from the manufacturer to paint
it green or yellow, or to change the scale, soundboard, hammers, or
sostenuto mechanism.  Mercedes doesn't care if I replace my water pump
with their part or someone else's (except for their lost profit).
(Actually, I drive a Ford Escort!)

On the other hand, from the perspective of future owners, it seems unfair
to leave the impression that the piano is "the real thing" if large
modifications have occurred.  Antiques, for instance, are often best left
alone even if they could be functionally or visually improved.  With a
heavily modified piano, a future buyer might be unable to know what they
are really getting. For example, in the automotive world,  you might have
a Volkswagen car, but retrofitted with either a Yugo or BMW transmission.
 As a result of good intentions but lack of expertise, I've seen pianos
that were far worse off after major "work".  I suppose a manufacturer
could be concerned about "their" piano's reputation as a result.  And
whether we like it or not, S & S pianos in particular are often thought
of as investments.

However, I've also come to appreciate the research and development
evident in some of the successful instruments coming from good
rebuilders.  Obviously, the piano industry should be more progressive in
R & D, but I don't see much new from the big manufacturers except digital
players.  The technical know-how I see is amazing at PTG conventions and
Pianotech.  I look forward to hearing and seeing the Overs-maha grand at
the convention, for instance.  Maybe the big manufacturers will get the
hint that change can be a good thing.

So I've been thinking . . .Perhaps the rebuilders who are making changes
(major ones), should put THEIR name on the piano too.  Perhaps a summary
of the changes made, much as Steinway puts on the soundboard decal
(accelerated action, diaphragmatic soundboard, etc.)  In the high
performance car world, there are a number of after marketers who improve
name brands, such as the Saleen Mustang.  They proudly put their name on
their finished product.

It is one thing to change hammers with good ones, restring and tweak the
scale a little, etc.  If you think that you can design the piano better
than the manufacturer did, go for it.  Your customer may really benefit.
If you change it A LOT though, put your name and modifications on it so
all the world can appreciate your work.  That way future techs and owners
know what in the world is under the hood!  If you want to try a carbon
fiber/polyester reverse crown soundboard with titanium bridges, go ahead!

Tom Armstrong, RPT
Salinas, CA