Likes her old clunker

thepianoarts thepianoarts@home.com
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 00:13:57 -0500

Ron,

   How good are you at walking on water? No, really, there is hope.  She is
used to a light touch-weight and bright piano. The relative 'softer' sound
of the Walter, contributes to the sense that it is harder to play.  You
could do the following...

   Make the piano brighter...acetone by itself will brighten it up a bit,
although the acetone/keytop solution is probably necessary. Take a hair
dryer with you, and get it how she likes it ( brighter) before you leave. If
you are not used to juicing, with acetone, get help.

Have her play it for you, before you juice,  and observe her style and
strength. You can then decide how much juice to apply. Get her input.

   Brightening this piano will give her the sense that the piano is easier
to play. Most of her complaints revolve arround tone production and
perceived touch-weight.

Shorten the blow distance a little. (How is damper timing? If too early, you
could save some weight there)

Make sure let-off is happening close, to get the most bang for the
keystroke.

   Her perception is common...I  hear the same refrain from new piano
owners. The point is, she must get aquainted with the instrument, by playing
for say six months...and then you will do the 'final voicing'.

Dan Reed
Dalas Chapter