Tuner Mystery Novel

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:03:53 -0600

Anita, I don't mean to tell you what to write, but the technician arrived to
tune the piano and found that pedal lyre was not secured properly, so he
used the statue (made of painted pine particle board) to hammer the lyre on
better allowing him to finally secure it with the lyre block.  Because the
head and one arm of the statue broke off and it was so badly dented
elsewhere, the tech decided that he would take it with him, replacing it
with a nearby vase, hoping that no one would notice it missing.  The owner
assumed that her husband had hidden it and later ordered another out of the
Spiegel catalog and continued to have the piano tuned every six months.  The
End...  No charge.  %~)

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net

  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Anita Sullivan
  Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 8:04 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Tuner Mystery Novel

  Dear List,

  I have a rather odd request. I've been tuning and fixing pianos for about
20 years and I'm also a writer. I've decided to write a series of mystery
novels with a piano tuner as the heroine. I've started the first one and
have two more ideas in mind.

  I want the mystery to revolve around some aspect of music, pianos, musical
instruments. In the first novel a wooden carving is stolen for no apparent
reason from one of the tuner's client's house. It's a beautiful statue of a
monk playing a cello (some friends actually do have a carving like this, and
it's beautiful). My dilemma is this: What wood can the statue be made of,
which would be valuable enough to be stolen by someone who wanted it in some
aspect of musical instrument building, and yet still could be made into a
statue probably about 2 feet high? I had in mind Brazilian Rosewood, does
that make sense?

  I was going to have it be a harpsichord builder, but then I am told
rosewood was not used on historical harpsichords (thus would not be used in
replicas). Duh! I guess I should have known that. So, either I need another
wood, or I have to change the guy into a builder of historical pianos, or
maybe a violin maker.

  The instrument builder, by the way, is NOT the one who stole the statue.
Heaven forbid! He's just a kind of red herring.

  If anybody can help me, I would be MOST  grateful. I would even receive
plot ideas graciously! Please reply to me at my home address,
anita@proaxis.com      Thanks so much!

  Anita Sullivan